Friday, January 8, 2010

Through A Father's Eyes

When I became a father I was still very much a child myself. I also still held many of my childlike thought patterns too. I had these ideas and images of grandeur, I thought my children are going to be different I am going to be different then how my parents were with me. Well it did not take long until I found out that was pure fantasy in my thinking. Oh my children are different each having their own special talent or way of being. They are also good kids never causing any trouble different than just being a teenager or little girls. But things often happen that make me think to myself "this is not my child; I did not raise him/her like this!" Then the questions come; what were you thinking when you did this or just plain ol why? Well I had one of those why moments this morning. Of course I became angry, upset and wore a scowl on my face for most of the morning. Then as the dust settled I had time to think upon the events of the morning. As I reflected, God soon began to speak to me on the matter. The idea that my children were going to be these perfect individuals was a thought of fantasy. Not because they are not awesome but because of the sin that is always around us. Some would say that it is because we are human, I believe that is nonsense. Christ was human and he was perfect, he fought sin not humanity. Anyways, God started to remind me just because I hold an idea in my mind about what my children should be like or act like is an illusion in my mind. I can help mold them and shape them but ultimately it is up to them to decide. Much the same way it is for me and my walk with God. I am sure there are many things God would like to see me become or do, but until I make a decision there is not much God can help with. Oh sure, God can nudge me a certain way or encourage me to understand; just the same as I do my children but until I make a decision I will never know what He has in store for me. In Jeremiah he says "Then I went down to the potter’s house, and there he was, making something at the wheel. 4 And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter; so he made it again into another vessel, as it seemed good to the potter to make. 5 Then the word of the Lord came to me, saying: 6 “O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter?” says the Lord. “Look, as the clay is in the potter’s hand, so are you in My hand, O house of Israel!" (Jeremiah 18:3-6) This morning was a good reminder to me that I must remain in the potter's hands to be molded to what He would have me be. We can shape our children to what we think is best and the world will say we did something wrong along the way; but in the Lords hands for either us or our children there are not mistakes. He placed the stars in the heavens and named each of them and they follow His set path. How beautiful the heavens are and how intricate they are. Imagine what he can do with you His greatest creation if you are willing.

No comments:

Post a Comment